October 24, 2015

The time has come...

...to say hello, world. For precisely one month, October 9 to November 7th, I am waving a giant hello to the world down at Flagship Gallery with a solo exhibition called "Look, child". This likely won't happen for quite a few more years, so come see it while it's up.



I missed making the announcement about the opening reception here... sorry about that. I was busy painting until about 12 hours before the opening night, and even then my infamous yellow toolbox of paints was reluctantly tucked in the back room right before I did my hair. But don't worry, you didn't miss the wine because I discovered we're not licensed for that. Aw, shucks. (This world has become too strict for me.)




Right now there are twenty-some-odd paintings and drawings on display at 237 James Street North. Begged and borrowed from friends, family and former clients. There are a few for sale though, so please ask if you see something that catches your eye.

There is work from the past 10 years or so, including a drawing series called "Grace" which I did while still a student at Redeemer. It's surprising to me how readily people open up about their perspectives on deeply personal things. The drawings encouraged many responses that I thought were very revealing, and I was grateful to have these interactions!

"Grace"
Charcoal on Stonehenge, giglee prints each 18"x20" $950
Copyright Lisa Smouter
The show is up until the first Saturday in November. Consider stopping in or get in touch with me to meet up at Flagship if you prefer.

Left: "Sleeping Spirit Awakened" Acrylic and Liquitex pouring medium, 36x60"  $1800
Top Right: "Sandwiches are Beautiful" Acrylic, 24x24"  $425
Bottom Right: "Moving ahead, feeling behind" Acrylic, 24x24"  $425
These were the most recent paintings I did--painting basically every day for 2 or 3 months.... I hope it is an encouragement to others. Thematically these came out of the most recent paintings I did called "Your Kingdom Come" and "Child of the King", both exploring ideas and realities about the Kingdom of God. By the time I was done working on those two more metaphorical works (see below), I was ready for some tangible representations of what Christians often call "kingdom work".

Left: "Your Kingdom Come: tear another strip off me" Chalk pastel, 16x20" Prints available
Right: "Child of the King" Acrylic and Liquitex pouring medium, 14x18"  $425

Thanks for stopping by!

LS

No comments:

Post a Comment