March 7, 2012

one for the kids...

Don't you just feel for the little girl whose favourite companion is left hanging out to dry?

Hanging Out to Dry
Oil on Canvas, 14 x 24"
Copyright 2012 Lisa Smouter
Original Painting For Sale: $450  |  Prints For Sale: $85 each

Poor little bear...

I'm actually a bit nervous to let this painting go, because it has given me many a headache! An artist rarely knows when a painting is finished, but with this one I'm saying I'm finished! In the end it was kind of fun, as Annie's own sense of humour inspired me to add fun things like animals in the clouds and an airplane with a banner ("baby on board!" was Arie's suggestion since I was expecting Josie at the time). Having a two-year-old in the house has made me lighten up a bit. Maybe some of you can relate? :)




detail of Hanging Out to Dry
Copyright 2012 Lisa Smouter
Prints For Sale: please contact the artist

This painting has been hanging in my girls' bedroom for quite a while now. It's the perfect colour tones for their room, going nicely with these alphabet cards I have individually framed in their room.

Beautiful alphabet cards by eeBoo,
 purchased from Citizen Kid on Locke Street in Hamilton.

Midway through my painting struggles I started studying these wall cards for inspiration and direction on colour choice. My own reference photos were taken with a poor camera, and so of course I was left with many problems to solve regarding lighting and colour. I like to think that the cards helped me, although they're not "realistic" in style.

And since I'm talking a bit about my kids' bedroom...The following bit doesn't merit a post of its own but I'm bursting to share it with you all anyway.


On a craftier side, here's my little foray into the world of crochet....I needed a break after that painting, but I never guessed that I would get so addicted (Thanks Mom!) As if I don't have enough projects on my to-do list! :) This one was made using a slightly improvised-upon pattern found online. I copied the colour choices from a wonderfully talented woman from Holland. Her blog is www.willewopsie.blogspot.com. By the way, this monkey is almost as tall as Annie herself!

Crocheted monkey--whom Annie has named "George" of course.

Crocheting with a little baby in my arms is much easier than painting with one (Annie never went unscathed), but this theme of "kid-friendly" art and craft is so fun I hope to make more. In the meantime, if you would like to purchase a print of the above painting please let me know and I'll be happy to chat about different composition and size options.

Till next time!

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment